Monday 28 May 2012

LIZ BLACK IN FUSSED MAGAZINE

In the Summer issue of Fussed Magazine, Liz Black, along with two other Central Saint Martin graduates are profiled in 'The Up and Coming Interview'. Liz's interview is below.

How would you define your label and the aesthetic it represents?
Liz: Liz Black is a luxury womenswear label that reflects conceptual creativity with a minimal and elegant aesthetic. Its focus is on wearable statement pieces with a timeless appeal, emphasising chic and impeccably tailored structures that complement the feminine silhouette.

What’s inspiring you right now?
Liz: Adventures, secrets and nonsense.

What is the label’s take on Summer 2012?
Liz: For us, Summer is less about floaty chiffons and more about a strong, clean feminine aesthetic with hard-edged shapes: the image of a sharp-thinking intellectual woman. The lines, details, textures and angles that make up these wearable pieces point towards freedom as well as security, empowering the woman on the journey through her energetic lifestyle.

How valuable has your degree been to your work?
Liz: During my degree at Central Saint Martins I learnt how to exploit and use my creativity wisely. It is the fundamental factor of being a great designer.
Just like their prestigious alumni will always make Saint Martins proud, the prestigious talents and knowledge I gained whilst studying there will always remain a part of me.

How valuable were the work experience/internship placements you undertook in understanding your own brand and the way you approach your work?
Liz: My work placements have certainly been an invaluable tool in understanding myself as a designer. I got to work with some of the best designers out there and I learnt a lot with them. Working with Emilio de la Morena gave me the opportunity to see how all of the many aspects of running a young fashion business operate and fit together, which is important now that I am running my own label. During my time at Diane von Furstenberg in New York I was in charge of a team that gave me good experience of managing and delegating work to others. It also showed me how things work at the other end of the scale in terms of size – and certainly gave me something to aim for!

What has been the most defining/proudest moment of your career so far?
Liz:The day that I got the key to my studio was epic. With the key came the opportunity of creative freedom, leading me to be nominated for various awards such as Best Emerging Fashion Designer 2010 and Fashion Fringe 2011.

Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Liz:Showing on the catwalk at London Fashion Week would ultimately be one of the greatest achievements, together with collaborating with other design disciplines. LIZ BLACK as a brand will be developed into an international highly desirable luxury label attracting global attention and generating significant press and celebrity placements. In time, we hope to be a well-established name in the world of luxury fashion.

Finally, what advice would you give to current students/soon-to-be graduates studying fashion-related courses?
Liz: Embrace fashion with passion, go out there and get as much experience as possible and, whatever you do, do it with excellence. If you still enjoy it after all of that, then you're the right person for the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment